So Kai/aka Mr. Glowstick nominated me for the Liebster Award. I jumped on the Google machine to figure out what the heck the Liebster Award is and how it started. Strangely enough, I can’t find any official origin story. It seems like the song that never ends–someone started nominating, not knowing what it was, and we’ll continue nominating forever, just because…
That aside, this is essentially a way for amateur bloggers to give shout outs to other amateur bloggers, which is pretty cool.
So, according to Kai, the rules are:
1. Thank the blogger who nominated you
2. Answer the 11 questions the blogger gives you
3. Nominate bloggers who you think are deserving of the award but also help promote newer bloggers with less followers
4. Tell the blogger/s you nominated them
5. Give them 11 questions of your own
Part One – The Thank you
It’s pretty awesome to have another blogger whose blog you enjoy reading essentially say “I like your blog and I think my readers will like it too.” So for that THANK YOU KAI!
Part Two – Questions Answered
1. What was your first thought when you woke up this morning?
“Holy crap, I can’t believe I slept for 12 hours.” I’ve been recovering from some sort of virus that gave me a fever and sore throat and getting a good night’s sleep was pretty sweet.
2. What is your favourite music to listen to
I still like the music I listened to in high school. Punk and rock and roll of the 90s and, fuck it, sometimes Ani DiFranco.
3. What makes you smile?
Watching my daughter become more and more herself every day.
4. Why did you start this blog?
This blog is purely a platform for documenting my physical and emotional transition to male. Specifically, I hoped to reach other people in my age bracket, people who were a little slow on the uptake in realizing they were trans, people with children, people with careers underway. Check out my first post for what I was thinking at the time.
5. What is your favourite book and why?
My all-time favorite book will always be The Neverending Story by the ironically named Michael Ende. It’s a book about how reading allows those of us who are unhappy with ourselves and our life circumstances to live vicariously through others (and if we’re ambitious enough, to become the heroes in our own stories). Like Bastian Balthazar Bux, I wanted to be Atreyu. And still pretty much do.
6. What is your favourite word and why?
Serendipity. Because it’s fun to say. And it’s fun when it happens.
7. Favourite colour to wear?
I think I have 50 shades of blue in my wardrobe.
8. Would you rather have no WiFi and be given £1,000,000 or have WiFi and be give £10?
At the current exchange rate, that’s $1,440,300. I’ll take the money and run, thank you.
9. What is your favourite song lyric?
I’m gonna burn in hell for not putting something by Prince here. But it’s this:
Well I’ve searched and I’ve searched
To find the perfect life
A brand new car and a brand new suit
I even got me a little wife
But wherever I have gone
I was sure to find myself there
You can run all your life
But not go anywhere
10. What is your ultimate life goal?
To be open, authentic, brave, and content and to empower my daughter to be all that and whatever else she values.
11. If you could have a super power what would it be? Why?
This one is pretty telling–
When I used to care what people thought of me, I wanted to be invisible.
When I was panicked by my procrastination habits, I wanted to be able to stop time.
When I started transitioning, I wanted to be able to shape-shift.
None of these are powers that I had any intention of using to save the human race, which shows you what kind of selfish bastard I am.
Part Three – My Nominees
These are some of my favorite transmasculine/non-binary amateur bloggers.
(Sorry if this is a double nomination for you. Also, no offense will be taken if you don’t keep this snowball rolling.)
Part Four – Eleven Questions
1. What are your top three important values?
2. Who in your life do you credit with instilling those values?
3. What is your most cherished family tradition?
4. Has revealing your gender identity and/or sexual orientation resulted in losing or damaging an important relationship in your life?
5. Has revealing your gender identity and/or sexual orientation resulted in gaining or improving an important relationship in your life?
6. Boxers or briefs?
7. What’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever argued about on the internet?
8. If money, training, and all other practical concerns were no obstacle, what would be your dream job?
9. What’s your favorite Prince song?
10. Fuck, chuck, or marry–political edition: Barack Obama, Justin Trudeau, and Prince Harry.
11. Fuck, chuck, or marry–lesbian icon edition: Ellen Page, Kristen Stewart, and Jodie Foster.